Starting in 1959, all Bear bows possessed a coin medallion of 1 kind or another. The coin ended up being copper in 1959, then changed to Aluminum in 1960-61, and Pewter in 1962. Brass coins were utilized in 1963-1970, and nickel-silver in 1971-72. The coins had been all flush aided by the timber until 1972. Then in belated 1972 it had been raised over the area for the bow. These raised medallions came both in chrome and gold covered synthetic and are also nevertheless found in todays Bear bows.

Note – with the medallions for dating bows just isn’t a rule that is absolute Bear bows, as sometimes the plant would simply toss medallions in a container and also the bow maker would achieve in and grab medallions that may have now been from per year or two early in the day.

Host to Manufacture

In 1978, a hit during the Bear plant in Grayling, MI forced a move of all manufacturing and workplaces to Gainesville, Florida. When your bow states Gainesville onto it, you then understand that it absolutely was made following this move.

The 1953 Patent Date

All Bear bows from 1953 until 1972 have actually the “1953 patent that is canadian date on it. This patent covered the working recurve limb. Here is the date associated with the patent only, and does absolutely nothing to date the bow it self.

The 1953 Patent date which seems on all Bear bows from 1953 until 1972 is actually the date of this patent for an operating recurve limb and it has nothing at all to do with the model year that is actual.

The Decals and Silkscreening

dating 50s

The little Running Bear decal was very first utilized in 1948, and had been changed because of the big Standing Bear decal in mid-1953. The big Standing Bear decal also had the text “Glass Powered” underneath the Standing Bear.

The big Standing Bear decal ended up being utilized until 1955 with regards to ended up being changed utilizing the https://datingmentor.org/uniform-dating/ enhanced techniques of silk-screening the identification regarding the bows. The silk-screening showed up on all bows because of the 1956 model 12 months.

The running that is small decal regarding the left had been utilized by Bear from 1948 until 1953, using the bigger Standing Bear decal changing it in mid-1953 and enduring through to the 1955-56 model years. Starting in 1955-56 Bear started with the silk-screened logo design shown regarding the far right.

What about Serial Figures for Dating?

In accordance with research carried out by Al Reader of the latest Jersey, whom in addition is known as by many to be the many knowledgeable Bear collector alive, serial figures work well for dating Bear bows, but just for many years 1965-1969 if the very very first digit regarding the serial quantity is the season of make. As an example, a serial quantity of 6z3884 could be a 1966 bow. Just before 1965, the numbers that are serial all Bear bows had been started over on a monthly basis, making these bows nearly impossible up to now by serial quantity alone. The “K” variety of serial numbers (as an example KZ9399) had been were only available in 1970.

Even taking a look at the catalogs is certainly not a certain means of dating a Bear bow, as sometimes the images were utilized for over twelve months, despite the fact that there may have now been alterations in the forests utilized, or the colors available.

Keep in mind additionally that Bear needed to make the next yearns catalog to the printer in late autumn of this previous year. Which means that bows for that catalog or model had to be available to take pictures of in the fall before the catalog was printed year. That is why, you’ll find bows of a certain 12 months with attributes of the past 12 months. an example that is good function as the few known examples for the 1954 Kodiak II (Compass Kodiaks) because of the little “Running Bear” decal that was actually discontinued in late1953. Many 1954 Kodiak II s is likely to be discovered with all the big Standing Bear decal which replaced the little Running Bear decal in 1954. Another instance will be the few known 1959 Kodiaks which do not have a coin medallion that have been allowed to be on all Kodiaks beginning in model 12 months 1959. Demonstrably these bows had been built in belated 1958 prior to the medallions became offered to the factory.